Earlier this year I worked on an education project at Leeds Trinity University. The major focus was to show trainee teachers how archaeology could be fitted into the national Curriculum and offer practical opportunities to engage children in the study of history. I have now written a formal report on the project which you can download by clicking on the link below.
In June of this year I spent a very pleasant couple of days working with children at Cobden Primary School on the outskirts of Leeds (West Yorkshire, UK). The project consisted of several elements – a garden pottery survey, some classroom based work and a small-scale excavation in the school grounds. I’ve now completed the report on the excavation element of the project which details the finds which were made. For a more general reader the report also includes a summary of the history of the area around the school.
You can download a copy by clicking on the link below.
Last year I worked on a small-scale excavation at Hanging Heaton (West Yorkshire, UK). I have now completed the site report. To download a pdf copy click on the link below.
Last November I blogged about a small archaeological project which I co-ordinated at Birkenshaw C. E. (C) Primary School (West Yorkshire, UK). The final site report is now available for those of you that would like the full details. To read it, please click on the link below.
I have now completed the formal report on the excavations which were carried out as part of the Leeds Trinity Archaeology project. The range of finds from the two sites were quite similar consisting largely of 19th and 20th century pottery and glass with some other items such as metal working waste and clay pipes stems. The finds from Greenhill Primary School were recovered from what seem to be levelling layers which are probably associated with the landscaping of the school grounds. Those from St Phillip’s Catholic Primary School may be slightly earlier and represent field manuring. The land on which the school was built was used for agricultural purposes prior to the construction of the school.
If you would like to download a copy of the full excavation report, click on the link below.
Earlier this year I bogged about the work I was doing for the Roggins Local History Group in Silkstone. It’s taken quite a while to get the site report written up. For such a short period of excavation (4 days), there were quite a lot of finds. These included pottery, glass and metal objects, all of which had to be photographed and described. It’s often that way: the part of archaeology that no-one sees, takes a lot longer to complete than the much more high-profile digging. But it’s all finished now and ready for you to read.
To download a pdf copy of the full site report click on the link below.
Last month I blogged about the work I was doing at Oakwell Hall (West Yorkshire, UK). Analysing the results has produced some interesting new material. We’ve found part of what might be the farmyard that was there before the lawn in front of the Hall was created. And we’ve also found a surprizing amount of metal working waste. The latter is still being analysed in detail, but the rest of our findings are now available for you to read. Just click on the link below.